As I look back on the past year, I’ve come a long way since completing the C25k running program. I have learned how to breathe while running and not tiring myself out. I’ve learned that the only person I have to compete with is myself. When I stopped comparing myself to other runners, I began to enjoy the race and was able to relax and just run the run that I have. Ultimately, when I began enjoying myself, my time began to improve because of the pressure I took off of myself.
About 9 months ago, I ran my first 5k and since then I’ve run a total of eight. I had one running injury, and I learned that I need to wear reflective lighting when running in the dark. So now I am lit up light a Christmas tree when I go dark running (usually early morning before the sun comes out.) Oh, yes, I also won my first medal (placing 3rd in my age group in my last race.)
My goals for 2015 include:
- Interval training to improve my speed.
- Running races every 4-6 weeks to get me involved with other runners.
- Perhaps find a running club, again to meet other runners of the same ability.
- Participate in a 10k race
- Eat healthier..I could lose a lot more than I have lost (30 lbs over the last 2 years). I need to begin eating like a runner, now that I am a runner.
- and a few more that will probably be added as the year goes on.