I’ve re-grouped since my last horrendous race of a few weeks ago. This weekend I am running at one of my most favorite places…Gettysburg National Battlefield. The race is the 25th Spirit of Gettysburg 5k and it follows the first day of the battle.
I have developed my Race Day Plan:
Things to Pack in my bag night before:
- Nuun Hydration Tabs
- GU gel packet (Espresso Love)
- Stick massager
- Recovery Sandals
- Head band
- Freshen Ups (for afterward)
My Schedule at race site:
- Start Time: 8 a.m.
- Go to Line: 7:50 a.m.
- Stretch: 7:45 a.m. (take GU gel)
- Warm up: 7:40 a.m.
- Check-in: 7:30 a.m. (pick up time chip)
- Eat: Banana PB Protein Shake
- Travel: Leave home at 6 a.m.
- Run entire race (no walking…I can do it)
- Keep focused on myself.
- Try to break 51 minutes
- No music, just your Garmin
- Go out slow
- Do some intervals during the run.
- Again, keep focused. You are not competing with anyone but yourself.
- Save your energy and run hard towards the finish (last mile).
- “Lord, I came too far to stop now.”
- “I worked and trained hard for this.” (remember all those 4 a.m. runs)
- “Feet, don’t fail me now.”